We have several ways to address dental decay, including fillings and crowns. But no one wants cavities! The good news is, it’s not too hard to stop cavities before they start. We’re happy to help any way we can.
If you need to schedule a dental exam, call us today at 978-396-3935 to visit us in North Andover, MA. In the meantime, check out our tips for preventing cavities:
- Cut Back on Sugar – We don’t expect you to eliminate all sugar from your diet. But it’s a good idea to cut back. That’s because sugars in your mouth encourage the growth of the bad bacteria that cause cavities and gum disease. Substitute healthy snacks for treats like cookies and candy. Skip sugary drinks like soda.
- Drink More Water – The best substitute for soda and other sugary beverages is good old H2O. It helps rinse away bacteria and food particles before they can harm your teeth. In fact, swishing your mouth out with water after eating is a good oral hygiene habit.
- Cultivate Good Brushing and Flossing Habits – You should brush twice daily with a fluoride toothpaste, for at least two full minutes each time. Always use a soft-bristled brush and a gentle touch. Scrubbing too hard can weaken your enamel and actually make you more prone to cavities. Floss at least once a day too.
- See Us Every Six Months – Even with good oral hygiene at home, you need professional cleanings to remove plaque from your teeth and keep them cavity-free. For most people, a cleaning every six months will do the job. It also gives us a chance to thoroughly examine your teeth. If you have any small problems, we’ll treat them before they become more serious.
- Consider Preventive Treatments – Dental sealants and fluoride are two treatments that give you extra cavity-fighting protection. While they are most commonly used for children, adults can benefit from them too. They are especially helpful if you have a chronic dry mouth or other conditions that leave you more susceptible to decay.
Let us help you stop cavities! Call Andover Smiles today at 978-396-3935.